Tuesday, 27 April 2010

Tweet, tweet!!

This video I should have watched perhaps a little bit earlier this semester! But it’s never too late to start communicating and spread interesting information!!



A few weeks ago I opened finally an account on twitter and I thought about why I did it so late! On the first sight when twitter came up in March 2006 everyone was quite curious and wondering about what kind of social platform twitter may be, about its own language and how it is to be used. I can imagine that the biggest part of the users only opened an account to answer all these questions. Another thought was why I should use twitter at all! Finding new friends? Finding new business contacts or mix of both?



But after these few weeks I found some answers. Twitter provides (more or less) useful links; it can be used as a medium to communicate what someone, or better each avatar is doing, thinking about or planning. Information about local events, seminars or meeting are spread and the more it is used the more useful it becomes. But twitter is not only the next channel to post what’s happening, it is a giving and taking and then it becomes also more interesting. Twitter is a channel, a re-channel and a platform for dialogues.


Here a few figures about this medium: All together twitter has 52 million avatars, which is– remarkable - only for comparison, facebook has 400 million users, which is enormous!!
But 14% of all active users have no followers and less than 75% have less than 10 followers. I belong then to these second ones! Thanks to my followers, however!! The average avatar has 42 followers. I think this is a big amount to follow regularly but for trained tweople it shouldn’t be a problem, whereby I don’t understand really when they find the time to post reasonable links as tweets and retweets. However, 38% never received a tweet, and 75% of all users have written less than 10 messages all together. These last figures lead a little bit to the assumption that twitter is used actively by elite, whereby the access is not restricted. Everyone can join, even if one has nothing to say, or not more than 10 messages! So twitter opens opportunities!

Concerning my use of twitter, I have to be honest that I was not really brave at the beginning with start tweeting and to make the best use of twitter until now. For the beginners it takes a little bit time and a lot patience to get familiarised with the whole concept and proceeding. And even if I could tweet what I’m actually doing, I cannot imagine that someone is interested in if I’m writing, ironing, preparing my lectures or what ever! So if I use helpful links, I want also provide useful ones. But start thinking if the information might be interesting or not, the good point of time is gone somehow! So I can summarise, I have to be more brave and keep tweeting until my keyboard is hoarsely!

2 comments:

  1. I don't tweet as much, but I find Twitter very helpful in getting information from a variety of my favourite sources. It keeps me updated on the latest news and news that I probably would never have come across if they were not posted on Twitter.
    It's a great tool. Find me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/toivom

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I posted my comment on twitter I joined the network quite more often than before! And I found a really active PR guy who tweets nearly all 6 min! It's incredible! And most of the tweets are really helpful and interesting! So, I agree that's a great tool!

    ReplyDelete